Friday, November 18, 2016

Mom Life in São Paulo

Mom Life! It is never dull (even though I wish it were sometimes) On Wednesday the kiddos and I went to a birthday party at an indoor trampoline place. We found out that loads of sugar+hours of jumping =disaster!

I managed to get 4 hot and sweaty, sugar induced (but happy) kiddos loaded into the car and we headed off home. We didn't get more than two minutes down the road when Eli started PROJECTILE vomiting everywhere. All over Skyler's school backpack, the seats, the floors, probably a bit on the roof. It was a sight to behold. This sounds bad, but I honestly thought in that moment,"Thank goodness that didn't just happen on the trampoline in front of the ENTIRE party!" We can handle the car. Even though we were using daddy's work vehicle that day.

I pulled into our condominium and this is where the tricky party comes in. I have to communicate to the staff that I need to find some place to clean my car. This is how my Portuguese sounds in English:

"My son is sick. He Vomit. I need to clean. You have water?"

The guard just shook his head and looked at me and our vomit filled car and decided we were one hot mess he wasn't about to deal with.

That meant plan B had to happen fast. This is tricky in a foreign country. My Portuguese isn't good enough to just start calling places and find out where to take the car. The guard wasn't offering any help so I find myself always having to just wing it. I remembered that there is a car cleaning place in the mall down the road so I decide to give that a try. It was just about 6pm so I knew I had to hurry or it  would be closing soon. I gave Thais instructions to shower little Eli who was completely plastered in puke ( she loved that idea).I had Gracie come with me and we took off to the mall hoping we would be able to save the puke-mobile.

Five minutes later, I pulled into the car place and was THRILLED to see that it was still open. Again, I got to use my excellent portuguese as the attendant looked in my vehicle like he wanted to die. It went something like this:

"I'm sorry. My son was sick. Much vomit. I need help to clean. I will pay a lot!"

We agreed on r200$ (about USD 70 bucks) and the guy told me to come back in two hours. I gave him a high-five and sympathetically  told him, "Boa Sorte!" (Good Luck!)

As we gathered our things out of the car to head home that's when we realized that Grace has no shoes. Why is that?!? No one knows!!! These are the Mom Life mysteries that keep life exciting.

 No problem. We were at the mall so I decided to buy her 100th pair of  that Havaianas that somehow keep disappearing. 

With the new shoes on Gracie's feet. I thought that rather than taking a taxi home, we'll enjoy the beautiful weather and walk. We passed by a Brazilian bakery/diner on the way and I decided to get some  rice and beans for Eli because that's pretty much all our little feijãozinho will eat these days.

With food in hand, Gracie and I head for the door and see that it is POURING rain. So much for our beautiful day on foot!

 We only had about half a mile to walk but I wasn't feeling like getting drenched.  Luckily there is a taxi station near the bakery so we made a mad dash toward the station and hopped in a taxi to drive us 45 seconds down the road.

The end of the story is that we finally made it home. My Portuguese was good enough to get us by. Thais was pure awesomeness and had Eli showered and changed. I scooped up my little puker and gave him his favorite meal of all time....Rice and Beans! The End


Tchau-Tchau

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! Thanks for giving me a good laugh. Does the car still have a residual smell or did they get it up good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one for the books! How did the car come out?

    ReplyDelete